Saturday 7 November 2015

walking past a salsify-eating cockatoo

It's just great that Penny has recovered from her gastroenteritis and I can walk along without stressing about whether she's scouting for food. (She always is, but I'm hopeful she won't make herself sick.)

As we stepped onto a path today, I noticed a cockatoo in the distance. Penny didn't, because she was nose-down checking out for edibles. Or good smells.


We approached, and the bird flew up into a nearby tree, holding something in its beak, and then nibbled on the plant it was holding.


I wish my phone could take a better photo, but if you zoom it up a bit, I think you'll see that it wasn't a grass stem. It was something more substantial. Inquisitively, I looked around to see what the plant might be. And there was a clue...


And lots more clues, actually - clumps of stems bent down and snapped off, all along the edge of the path. Also, a clump that hadn't yet been attacked...


Salsify. How interesting. It's considered a weed in Australia, but recently I've discovered it is edible.

Once we moved further away, the cockatoo landed on the path again and, after considering the available plants, decided on a big grass seed head, which it took up onto the old tree to eat.

Penny and I headed home for our own breakfast, and I'm pleased to say that Penny is now eating her normal range of food, instead of being limited to a 'gastro' diet.

2 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

What a treat to be able to see a cockatoo in the wild. They are such beautiful birds! We are so happy to hear that you're back on your own diet, Penny!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

parlance said...

Thanks, Mitch and Molly. Isn't it lovely to see birds free and living a good life?