Sunday 10 July 2011

positive thinking and dog training

Jaana, in Estonia, the winner of Honey's Dancing With the Doggy Stars competition, has begun writing about her training methods. I read with interest her post about the need for the human partner to think positively.

I've learned in the past that if I get stressed about what I want Penny to learn, it goes badly. My reason for trick training with Penny is to give her a chance to use her intelligence and to have fun, so I agree with what Jaana has said.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I agree - whenever I get impatient or frustrated with Honey when training or too "uptight" about getting things perfect, she seems to go into this zombie-like mode where she moves even s-l-o-w-e-r than ever! It drives me mad!! So I really have to make an effort to keep things light & cheerful for the best results!

Hsin-Yi

parlance said...

Hsin-Yi, that's one of the reasons I'm not involved in classes at the moment. I tend to get a bit stressed about it all. (Of course, the main reason is that Penny hurt her cruciate and we withdrew to rest it until it's fully recovered.)