Friday 18 March 2011

a dog hunts rats

Penny has been taking it quietly lately, because she seems to be limping quite badly at times. We've been sticking to short street walks. I think I might have overdone it by taking her on a two-hour walk in the Upper Yarra Valley recently. (But she had a great time!).

We'll go to the physio next week to see how her recovery from cruciate surgery is going. And we've started doing her home therapy more regularly. I think we had become complacent, even though we have been told her leg will never be the same as it was before she injured it.

But today she spent her time rushing down the back steps to check out some intruder in the lush growth in our backyard - growth that is the happy result of all the lovely rain we've had lately.

I think we have rats in the garden once again. She stalked them (or it?) around the garden beds for ages, her slowly waving tail the usual indication that she was on the hunt. It was good to see she was using all four legs to go down the steps, but she did hop the last step on three legs.

8 comments:

curator said...

Dear Parlance, for your always-excellent writing and photos of Penny, I gave you a "Stylish Blogger" award...drop by the Pet Museum to see! (Please don't feel you have to do more work because of the awatd - I just wanted to give it to you.) -- Curator

Amber-Mae said...

Sorry about Penny's leg problem. I hope she feels better soon.

Molly the Airedale said...

Mitch would be right there helping you out, Penny! He LOVES mousies!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

parlance said...

Curator, that's lovely! Thanks. I'll come over and see it.

parlance said...

Amber-Mae, thanks for the good wishes.

parlance said...

Maggie and Mitch, we've seen it twice since yesterday. I'm sort of wondering whether it might be some small native mammal. Ever optimistic that it's not actually a rat! It's fast, that's for sure.

Stanislaw said...

We hope you're back on all fours soon! My folks have no idea how they would keep me calm if I ever had surgery. That would be the hardest part!

parlance said...

Stanislaw, I've seen from your blog that you are an active dog, to say the least! Let's hope you never have to have surgery. But I'm sure if you did, you would all cope. We did!