Sunday 10 October 2010

striped dogs

When I look at Penny's coat, I have trouble describing its color, but the vet recently called it 'brindle', so I've been describing it that way lately. The Online Etymological Dictionary says of this color:
brindled
"marked with streaks, streaked with a dark color," 1670s, from M.E. brended (early 15c.), from bren "brown color" (13c.), noun made from pp. of brennen "burn," perhaps meaning "marked as though by branding or burning."
Once I looked it up, I was surprised the vet would say Penny is striped because I think she's just light brown. Until I got a close look at her shaved leg in the sunshine yesterday, as she lay around 'helping' me to garden:






Definitely striped!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats funny they call it brindle - I wouldnt have thought that but when you do look at her leg where she is shaved it is brindle!

She is looking so good!!

parlance said...

Thanks, Hound Girl! We went for two five-minute walks today!!

Unknown said...

How interesting! I always think brindle is a beautiful colour - in fact, if we get a Dane again, I think I might choose a brindle!

Hsin-Yi

parlance said...

Hsin-Yi, I must have a look around the Net for pics of brindle Danes. I bet they'll look gorgeous.