Tuesday 25 December 2007

when to let go of the dog's lead

Penny and I walked in beautiful Darebin Parklands, this evening, having a break from the Christmas rush. As we were strolling up the artificial hill that sits in the centre of the park, many people were in the shops in the midst of that last panicked buying spree before the shops close at 6 pm.







Penny was on the extending lead, because I'm not quite sure if the hill is on-lead or off-lead and I thought I'd better be extra careful because there are kangaroos in the park again.






As she's done so often lately, she took me by surprise. One minute she was at my side and a moment later I could feel the lead rushing through my hands at literally breakneck speed. No, she wasn't off after a kangaroo. Though I suspect that is what would happen if I weren't quick enough to spot one before she did - so far she has never seen one and I can't predict her reaction.


No, she was racing down the hillside after her ball, which had rolled down the slope.


I instantly let go of the retractable lead and it went bounding and leaping down behind her. Luckily it didn't catch on anything and drag her to a sudden halt. Remembering my fright when she raced towards the highway the other day, I called 'wait!', and felt enormously reassured to see her drop to her haunches and sit there as I clambered down the path to her.

I thought I'd post the pictures in a small size. If you'd like to see them larger, just click on a picture.

6 comments:

Lizzy said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you Penny, and your family! I hope you have a great one!

Sparky

parlance said...

Sparky, merry Christmas to you and your family, too! I hope all the canines and humans have a great time together - and even any felines who live in your extended family!

Anonymous said...

That looks like a fun place for walkies. Penny did good and so did you! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!
Rusty

Johann The Dog said...

What a good dog!!!! Especially when your pawrents use the right words this time, BOL!!!! Yeah for Penny! Maybe Penny could give some secret tips to my sis Gracie.

Hope you have a pawsome New Year! Looking for to more great posts from you guys.

Woofs, Johann

parlance said...

Rusty, it's a wonderful place to walk, and it's right in the inner suburbs of a city! I hope you and your family had a great Christmas also.

parlance said...

Johann, I'm going to practise saying 'Wait!' in a high, scared, panicky, squeaky voice, so Penny get used to it, BOL!

All the best for the New Year. Keep up the interesting info. I often click on links in your posts, because they are full of stuff I enjoy finding out about. Your mum must keep very busy discovering all those products.